Friday, April 7, 2017

How to interpret the meaning of your night dream

Source
When I dream in my sleep, they are usually vivid - vivid in details and in color (I know some people who dream in black & white). Sometimes they are so vivid that I'm not sure if they really happened until I wake up and realize that the dream's setting is of a different day, time or place. Haha...

The other week, I had a weird and somehow entertaining dream.  I'll narrate it here but no judgment, please!  Haha... After the dream, I'll tell you how to interpret and decipher if a dream has meaning.

So here was my dream -

I was home (though in the dream, the unit looked different from where I live now).  The unit was at the ground floor.  If you exit at the front door, it's a residential area while if you exit from the back door, it 's a commercial area.

I was organizing stuff in the unit (seems like I just moved in) when the doorbell rang.  At the door, there were 2 technicians who came to install my broadband connection. I had to rush fixing my stuff so I can let them in.

The following day (imagine, the timeline in my dream was 2 days! Wahaha...), a friend (unidentifiable in my dream though) and I were walking to my unit and as we were approaching it, I saw the front door ajar.  I immediately knew someone broke in.  When I rushed in, I saw that the place was almost empty except for a chair and table.  I rushed to the back door to see if I could still catch the thieves - maybe they are still loading the furniture in a truck.  But there was no truck in the back alley - only a parked bicycle!  My thought bubble was - could that be one of the getaway vehicles of the crooks?  Wahaha....

I got out of the busy commercial street trying to scan the passing vehicles for some suspicious vehicle carrying my stuff. I even remember seeing a calesa (horse carriage) on the road. Haha....

Since there was no sign of the crooks (they must have gotten away already), I decided to head back to the unit.  When I entered the living room, I was surprised to see 3 people - one was seated on the chair and the two were busy packing items on the table.

I asked them - "Hey, who are you? What are you doing here? Did you take my stuff?"

The girl seated on the chair (who looked like the leader of the group) said "Yes."

I asked - "But why did you do it?"

Then she answered - "Coz our mom passed away but we don't have money to buy a coffin".  Then she stood up, showed me a body bag on the floor, unzipped it to reveal a woman's corpse!

I said - "That is really so sad. I'm so sorry."   I no longer felt bad about them stealing my stuff.   Instead I felt so sad and sorry for them.

My friend interjected and told me - "What?! Will you let them get away just like that?  You should be mad!"

And then I said - "It's ok coz they need to buy a coffin so they could properly bury their mom."

Then I approached the 2 people packing on the desk and asked them - "What are you doing?"

They said - "We're packing your last few items for shipping."

I was puzzled.  I asked - "Where are you shipping them?"

They answered, "To the winning buyers online."  (That's apparently how they disposed of my items to raise funds! Wahaha...)

My friend interjected again - "Hey, those are your remaining stuff! Don't allow them to ship them out.  Get them back!"

To which I replied - "Wait, let me think what I need."  Then I scanned the unit and saw my closet.  I asked "Are there any clothes left in the closet?" (coz I realized I need a change of clothes plus I recalled that I bought some new clothes the previous week which were still unworn.  I thought sayang that I wasn't able to wear them yet. Haha...)

But they answered - "Sorry, your closet is empty already."

I replied, "Oh, ok."

Then I suddenly remembered something I badly wanted back.  I asked - "Do you still have my action camera and the SD cards?"

Then they said - "We're so sorry but we already sold it including the SD cards."

Then I said - "Can you please trace the buyer so I can contact him/her and get a copy of my video files?  You may continue disposing all of my remaining stuff but can you please help me retrieve the SD cards, please?"  To which they said yes they'll try to trace the buyer.

And that's how my dream ended.  Wahaha....

They say that when you dream, it could mean a lot of things - it could be a warning, a manifestation of some unfulfilled wishes, unresolved feelings, factual truths, or maybe it's just a compilation of unrelated events happening in your life.

So how do you know if your dream has real meaning?   First, it's important to reflect what are the possible incidents/triggers that might have led you to dream about a specific person, object or event coz if you don't take that into account, you might overanalyze and conclude that your dream has some grand meaning when if fact, it's just a compilation of unrelated events happening in your life.

For example, what could my dream possibly mean?  How come there was a corpse? Why were the crooks packing and shipping my items?  What's with the action camera? :)

Before you overanalyze and interpret, here's my reflection about the obvious meanings and some hidden truths about my dream:

Why the place looks different from my current condo  - I've been toying with the idea if I should move to a new place.

Why the unit's front and back doors open to residential and commercial areas  - I've always enjoyed the best of those 2 worlds - a quiet neighborhood but still near to commercial areas.

Installation of broadband connection -  I've been thinking if I should get one coz I've just been using my mobile phone as hotspot. Haha...

The break-in / theft - Maybe it's a warning?  I need to take precaution so it doesn't happen.

Trying to catch the thieves and look for clues -  I love Sherlock. But I'm more like Sherlack in the dream - lacking in deductive reasoning.  Wahaha...

Woman's corpse in a body bag - That night when I had the dream, I watched a zombie tv show which had that exact scene -  unzipping a body bag revealing a woman's corpse. Wahaha....

Why was my reaction like that - still cooperative to the people who stole my stuff?  In real life, I'm really like that! In college, I was walking along a busy street near my university and a snatcher stopped me in my tracks because the gold bracelet he just ripped off my wrist was missing. Both of us searched for it and when I suddenly found the bracelet hanging on my bag strap, guess what I did?  I said "here you go" and handed the bracelet over to the snatcher!  Wahaha....

What's with packing items and shipping them?  While I was watching the zombie tv show that same night, I was preparing packages to be shipped out the next day.  They were Christmas gifts for some kids I never got to see over the holidays.  They've been gathering dust for the last 3 months so I had to dispatch them already before it's Christmas season again. Haha...

What's with the unworn clothes?  It's funny but I did buy some new clothes the previous week. Haha... And like in my dream, it's really sayang (such waste) if you lose something without having had the chance to use them yet.  So I guess this is a reminder for me to double-check if I still have unused items which I need to start using or give away if I don't actually need them.

And what's with the action camera? I bought an action camera in December which my cousins and I call GoPoor (coz it cheaper vs a GoPro! Haha...).  And there are 2 reasons why I bought it:  (1) Other than photos, I want to preserve memories of family members in videos coz I don't have any video footage of my dad which I could easily watch when I miss him.  Photos are good but videos of them interacting with you on camera allow you to preserve memories better - you could replay a memory exactly how it happened - how that person looked into your eyes or waved at you at that moment you took the footage.  (2) I want to capture videos of my travels the way I saw the place.  It would be a more visual way to re-live travel memories vs photos.  Plus, I think it might be more time-saving to edit a video than to sort hundreds or thousands of photos (but I've yet to prove this. Haha....).

And what's with my strong desire to retrieve copies of the video files?  During the holidays, I did take family videos and yes, the files are still in the SD cards. But more than just this being a pending item on my to-do list, the real significance here is if you were to make me choose what one material item I would like to save, that would be photos or videos of loved ones.  As proof, many years ago, photos were also the only items I thought of securing when our house was threatened by lahar flows.

Like in my dream, after the bad incident happened, I didn't mull over all the material things we lost.  I was just so relieved that all my family members were safe and that our family photos were kept intact.   (Btw, you might be wondering why physical photos are such a big deal to me?  During my childhood, there were no digital cameras and no social media sites yet so the only proof of childhood memories are physical photos. Haha...).   Anyway,  it's amazing that even in my dream, I'm so consistent - I'm still able to identify that among all material possessions, I'm ok to let go everything except for family mementos.  Haha...

Thus, in order to decipher if a dream has real meaning or not, you really have to identify what are the important elements first, and then reflect what could have triggered you to dream about each element.  As you can see in the case of my dream, at the onset, it seemed that my dream is super scary, right?  But after breaking it down and analyzing the elements, I realized that it's just a hodge-podge of what's happening in my life with some hidden truths and useful reminders.  So the next time you dream something that seems scary or bad, don't immediately panic.  :)

Oops, but there's one remaining element in my dream which I couldn't quite figure out  - what's with the calesa (horse carriage) on a city road?  Wahaha.... :)