Monday, March 27, 2017

City Parks - where to enjoy nature at the heart of a city

During my past trips to London and New York, I remember seeing city workers enjoy their lunch in park benches.  I thought that was so cool - to be able to go to a place surrounded by nature that would make you forget you're actually in the city.   But trying out this activity in the Philippines never occurred to me, not with our tropical climate and where noontime is the hottest part of the day.  :)

One time though, one of my colleagues asked me if I wanted to have lunch at the park near Greenbelt Makati.  She actually worked in New York before so she must be used to eating lunch in a park like the city workers I've seen at Central Park. :)

Anyway, I said yes.  I might as well try eating my lunch in a park bench right in the city where I work.  The funny thing is I actually live so close to that park (just a few steps away!) but shame on me, I only go to that park to take shortcuts so I was always in a hurry. :(


Benches at the Washington Sycip Park

How did it go?  Surprisingly, the heat at noon wasn't that bad.  There was some breeze - but then again, that was before summer, so maybe, the air was much cooler too. :)   But overall, it was so amazing to be surrounded by such beautiful nature in Makati.




This park is called the Washington Sycip Park (yes, named after accountant and banker Washington Sycip who is now in his 90s. Wow...).

The park isn't really that big -  maybe half a block - but it is rich in flora and fauna, enough to make you forget that you're in the heart of the city.






There's even piped-in music being played so you'll really zone out -  except when you suddenly look up and see the tall buildings! Haha.... 




Anyway, last Saturday, after a heavy breakfast at a nearby cafe along Rada St., a friend and I decided to take a walk at the Washington Sycip Park to immediately burn some calories.  Wahaha....

We discovered that the park opened a new section called Tsuriki En (Crane and Turtle Garden).  This section is dedicated to the lasting friendship between the Philippines and Japan.

Why Crane and Turtle Garden? Because they are symbols of long life.  The crane (tsuru) is said to live 1,000 years and it represents peace, love and fidelity.  While the turtle (ki) is believed to survive for 10,000 years and represents fortitude, resilience and joy.   (Don't laugh at me but I know most of the revered animals in Asia, thanks to Kung Fu Panda!  Wahaha... )  

Behind these beautiful rows of bamboo is the Crane and Turtle Garden - 




Below is the garden -





You'll easily spot the turtle - 




But not the crane.  I had to ask the security personnel where I could find the crane. Haha...
But even after he pointed it out to me, I couldn't still visualize it.  Waaa....  Here it is --




Can you visualize the crane from the rocks?   I still couldn't.  :(    I just took solace in the beautifully raked gravel which resemble ripples of water.  So beautiful, right?




Here are some more photos I took at the Crane and Turtle Garden - 





But to manage your expectations, the garden is just small.  It just looks big in these photos since these were taken from different angles.  Haha....

While at the Washington Sycip Park, just be in your "explorer" mode.  You might even spot some interesting creatures like this lizard.  





There's a koi pond too -




And if you're interested in trees and plants, you might also spot some unique species.  I love these trees with camouflage-colored trunks.  





They are called Bagras (scientific name is Eucalyptus Deglupta) and are commonly used for electric post and herbal medicine.  See, I learned something new.  But ask me tomorrow, I won't be able to recall the name of this tree.  Wahaha...

  You'll also find quotable quotes from Mr. Washington Sycip on some park benches - 




But the quote which I like best is found in a big rock near the Crane and Turtle Garden.

The quote says -

"To appreciate growth and progress, it is often best not to be too close to a picture.  When a cement road is built, everyone starts looking for cracks!  When other countries do not accept our people, we protest against discrimination.  When they do, we complain of brain drain.  It is about time that we look at the bright side of things!" - W. Sycip

If you're Filipino, you know exactly what Mr Sycip means. Haha...

That was just about 30 minutes of exploring the park.   I actually felt like a tourist while exploring the park! Haha...

Lessons learned:
- The quickest way to escape the city or get easy access to nature is to visit a city park.
- We don't have to travel far or to spend to discover a new place.  Sometimes, they are right in our neighborhood or they are familiar places just waiting to be rediscovered. :)