Wednesday, August 23, 2017

How I Became an Accidental Minimalist

I can't believe it's been over 4 years since I've become an accidental minimalist. Accidental because I didn't mean to become a minimalist.   One day, I just decided to dispose all of my furniture except for 2 small pieces  (shoe cabinet and console table) with the intention of redesigning my place.  And yes, when I say all furniture, that included my bed frame so I was just left with a mattress on the floor.  πŸ˜‚

And then when I went shopping for furniture, I purchased a dining set BUT while I was waiting for the invoice, the sales personnel asked me to sit on a La-Z-boy and that was it - love at first sight sit! 😍 πŸ˜‚   I cancelled my dining set transaction and bought the La-Z-boy instead.  Wahaha.... πŸ˜‚

For 6 months, I never went shopping for any other furniture coz I was super happy with my La-Z-boy that I didn't feel the need to get any other piece.  Please note though that I don't like entertaining guests (it's the introvert in me) which explains why I only need one chair very little. πŸ˜‚


My La-Z-Boy

In those 6 months when some close friends dropped by my place, they had to take turns in sitting on my one and only chair while the rest had to sit on the floor.  πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚

On the seventh month, I was forced to buy a table and chair coz I had to finish a case study for a short course I enrolled in.

My TopTop Table and Ghost Chair

The table looks big in the photo above but that's only 27 inches in diameter which means it's really good for one person.  And which means I have to empty the table every time I work and every time I eat coz it's both my work table and dining table. πŸ˜‚  And which also means it can't be used for duck, cover and hold purposes during an earthquake.  I actually tried and I think I have better chance of surviving under the mattress. πŸ˜‚

So for the last 4 years, those are just my pieces of furniture.  I never bought a bed frame or any other piece coz I realized it was easier to clean when you've so little.

And then last month, I went to Shanghai with friends and we stayed at the Fairmont Peace Hotel.  In the evenings, I had to do some work and I super loved the big work desk in the room! 😍    I knew then I had to get a proper work desk (which also means my other table would officially become a dining table).  πŸ˜‚

So last weekend, I went around to look for my work desk and the store delivered it today. Yay! The furniture store though forgot to bring the chair so I have to use my one and only movable chair in the meantime.  πŸ˜‚  


A proper work desk - finally! 

I had to take a photo of my new desk while it's still uncluttered coz I don't know how my desk would look like by next week.  πŸ˜‚

BTW, see the cork board on the wall? That is my Kanban board.   When I started using the Kanban method last year, I started with post-it notes on my wall.  πŸ˜‚     I strategically put the cork board on that spot to cover the bracket holes of my old TV  - which I also gave away coz I realized I rarely turn it on.   I'm happy watching on a small screen - my iPad.  πŸ˜‚

So no sofa,  no dining set, no TV....  I wonder - is this minimalism or is it just a an introvert's space designed for one's self and not for entertaining guests?  And I haven't even started talking about my dishware - my 2 sets of plates and bowls.  πŸ˜‚