Friday, April 18, 2014

Holy Week reflection: Who are we before God?

One of the most powerful images that moved people's hearts across races and religions (not just last year but maybe in our lifetime) was Pope Francis kissing a leper in November 2013.  It still moves me every time I see or even recall the image.  

Source
Such compassion, love and humility makes me cringe out of embarrassment on how we sometimes react even on the most trivial matters in life.

During last year's Maundy Thursday ritual, Pope Francis washed and kissed the feet of women and Muslim inmates at a juvenile detention center.  In yesterday's annual Washing of the Feet, he washed and kissed the feet of elderly in a centre for disabled people.   Reports say that some had grossly swollen and disfigured feet.  

Pope Francis has been doing this even before he became Pope.  Even when he was still Archbishop and Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, he was already defying the traditional ritual of washing feet of men only (representing the apostles).  He has been washing and kissing the feet of non-Catholics and women.  

For this Holy Week, Pope Francis asked us to reflect on who we are in relation to the various characters in the story of Jesus' passion and death.
Here are some of the questions he posed to ask ourselves and reflect this Holy Week:

  • Am I like one of the pharisees, leaders and priests who wanted to kill Jesus?
  • Am I like Judas, who pretends to love and kiss the master to hand him over, to betray him?
  • Am I like the disciples who did not understand what it was to betray Jesus? ...they fell asleep while the Lord suffered.  Is my life asleep?
  • Am I like Pontius Pilate, who, when he saw that the situation was difficult, decided to wash his hands refusing to assume responsibility?
  • Am I like Simon of Cyrene who was returning from work, tired, but had the good will to to help the Lord carry the cross?
  • Am I like the courageous women, and Mary, the mother of Jesus, who were there, suffering in silence?
And the ultimate question - Who are we before God?

I know.  Tough questions to answer.  

Anyway, have a blessed week! :)