Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sanrio Puroland - The home of Sanrio characters

“Kawaii” is the Japanese word for “cute” or “adorable”.  And kawaii is the perfect description for Sanrio Puroland – the home of our favorite childhood Sanrio characters.


My childhood girly heroes were Little Twin Stars, My Melody and Hello Kitty - in that order.  (On the other end of the spectrum, I had non-Sanrio childhood male superheroes too! Haha...)  

Anyway, during my childhood days, Sanrio items were ultra expensive (ok, they are still expensive even today!).  I could count the Sanrio possessions I had with my fingers - which were mostly gifts and pasalubong because we couldn’t afford them.  Haha… 

On Sundays after mass at the Cathedral of San Fernando, I would visit two stores called Sandy’s and Ben-har across the church and drool over Sanrio merchandise.   There was a time when I saved up my school allowance and all I could afford was a Sanrio tissue holder. Haha…

At Sanrio Puroland, my 3 favorite characters still rule even if Sanrio has more than 40+ characters already.


Our first activity was the Hello Kitty boat ride and here are some of the exhibits we saw during the ride.  It was a fun ride and I couldn’t help but shriek with delight when I saw familiar characters. But I couldn’t recognize a lot of characters too so I tried googling them for my own learning. :)

Little Twin Stars
Kerokerokeroppi
Cinnamoroll
My Melody and her enemy, Kuromi
Pompom Purin


Hello Kitty
Sanrio Puroland is a compact indoor theme park which you can explore within a few hours.  


Everything is just cute.  Check out the toilet. Cutest restroom I’ve ever seen.



A Sanrio car -


Hello Kitty’s car – a pink Mitsubishi Mirage.


A cute Hello Kitty bus - 


A grandfather's clock featuring Sanrio characters called Sugarbunnies.


And here’s the overly pink cafeteria -



With kawaii trash cans -


Even the food is also kawaii!

I got a Little Twin Stars burger meal. The burger is stamped with Kiki and Lala’s faces and you get to bring home a Little Twin Stars souvenir plate (of course, the cost of the plate is factored into the meal price but one gets carried away. Haha…).  You can also order a My Melody or Hello Kitty burger meal.


Check out more kawaii Sanrio food meals.  



Our tour guide shared with us stories about kids ordering Sanrio meals but who couldn't eat their food because they don't have the heart to eat their favorite characters.  Haha...   

There are also shows throughout the day at Sanrio Puroland. It was fun watching kids dance with the characters. But everything was in Japanese so we couldn't understand anything. Good thing laughter is universal.  Haha...


To cap my Sanrio Puroland visit, I got to see the Little Twin Stars – Lala and Kiki! 

 And I did buy Sanrio souvenirs too.  Not a tissue holder this time. Haha... :)