Saturday, January 2, 2021

2020: My Year in Retrospect

Background: I started doing this "year in retrospect" exercise in the year 2015. Why? Because at the end of each year, we tend to rant that a year has passed by so quickly. But if you look back and reflect, surely, you must have done something throughout the year.  Now whether you consider these activities productive, good, fun or meaningful is another thing. But for me, that's entirely up to you - your own rules, your own metrics, your own definition of enjoyment and your own criteria of what's worth your time with the 365 days we've been given in a year. :)  As my motto goes - life is never too short if we live it well. :)

Here's my 2020 in retrospect (and in random order):

  • The year that changed the world


Source
2020 was a year like no other.  It was like a plot taken from a sci-fi movie.

One day, I just remember hearing the news about a mysterious virus called covid19 originating from a remote province called Wuhan in China. But like some people, I thought that the virus was too distant to reach to where we were.  The next thing I knew, there were rising cases and deaths all over the world (including in our area) and a global pandemic was declared. Everything changed after that.

Until now, things aren't back to normal yet and we don't know if life would still ever go back to exactly how it used to be. It's deeply saddening, but early on, I knew that the only way to get through this is to just embrace it and not resist (or we'll end up paralyzed, frustrated or depressed).  That's how I managed to cope. I didn't focus on things we lost or can no longer do, but on new things we can do given all the restrictions and limitations.  

And like many others, this year taught us many life lessons and helped us intensify values like compassion, empathy, generosity, resilience and contentment. 

  • Something I did out of my comfort zone early in the year (pre-covid) 

Source
For the first time in a long time, I opened myself to new career opportunities. If you've been working in the same environment for a long time, you know this isn't easy. Adjusting to a new work environment and getting to know new colleagues require a lot of adjustment - that's why most people just stay where they are and that's also why I have been putting this off for a couple of years even if I had been getting nudges and  instinctive feelings about it.  Secondly, it's also quite a challenge to find an opportunity that you really like (or find any opportunity at all - and which becomes more difficult as you grow older).  The search could sometimes take months, or even years.  But I was lucky to find something I liked (and got offered) in less than a month, and so I made the big decision to move.  

On the week I started in my new job, guess what?  Quarantine was suddenly implemented.  Impeccable timing.  But good thing, I can do my work remotely so everything still went out smoothly.   

In hindsight, the timing of my career move could not have been more perfect. Had I dribbled my decision to be open to opportunities and continued to ignore my instinct - even just one week later - my plan could have been derailed for a long time given the pandemic.  

  • My best (impulse) purchase

During the quarantine, to keep myself fit, I re-arranged my furniture and transformed my small space  into a walking trail with loops. As they say, if there's a will, there's a way. No quarantine can limit one's creativity and willpower if you want to make something happen.  And that's how I kept myself physically fit for several months because, otherwise, my daily steps would only total a measly 100 if I solely relied on going around my tiny space to eat, work, go to the toilet and sleep. πŸ˜…    

Source
Anyway, one time while on a video call with friends, I noticed one of them was walking (like on a treadmill).  I knew that friend was also staying in a condo so I asked her if she was indeed walking on a treadmill and she said yes.  Then, she went on to rave and demonstrate the foldable treadmill she recently bought and showed us how she can easily carry it and stow it away in one corner after use. It looked super light and easy! So I ended up ordering one.

On the day of the delivery, when I saw the box, it was huge! It didn't look like something I could carry on my own so someone helped me bring it to my unit.    

When I was finally alone with the box inside my unit, I tried to lift it but I could only partially lift it. 😨 Yes, it was the same treadmill model as my friend's but how come I can't lift it? Then, I suddenly realized - my friend is a CrossFit junkie!  She could easily lift barbels.  While my dumb bells only weigh 3 lbs each. Waaa... 

I had to carefully think through how to set up the treadmill with minimal lifting.  And I had to re-arrange my space because the moment I set it up, the treadmill would become a permanent fixture because I won't be able to stow it away or move it anymore - on my own. πŸ˜‚  

The foldable treadmill (though it's foldability is useless to meπŸ™Š) was my best purchase for the year (the other was a pair of noise-cancelling headphones for work).  But assuming I didn't have a budget to buy a treadmill nor space for it, I would not have minded continuing with my make-shift walking trail with loops.  

  • Total Audiobooks I finished - 28
The books I most enjoyed are the following:
  • Jesus by James Martin SJ 
  • Shoe Dog by Phil Knight
  • Stillness is the Key by Ryan Holiday 
  • The Man on the Mountaintop by Susan Trott 
  • Option B by Sheryl Sandberg and Adam Grant 
  • David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell



  • Personal goals
Despite the pandemic, I was still able to accomplish 2 personal goals. I actually thought I could do more, but 2020 was a busier year for me (which also explains why I haven't been able to blog). Busier, but ever more grateful. πŸ™ 

*****

2020 was a unique, enlightening, and overall, a difficult year.  But with hardship, things could only get better in 2021.  

To loved ones and friends we lost in 2020, we will always remember you and include you in our prayers. To innocent victims and the unsung heroes of 2020, we salute you and also include you in our prayers. πŸ™