Saturday, April 7, 2018

The proper way to drink Lemon Juice

Source
I've been drinking lemon juice in the morning for several years now  but I stopped for sometime when I noticed that my teeth has become sensitive when I eat ice cream or eat something extremely sour like green mangoes or vinegar.

Apparently, when we consume foods that contain citric acid such as lemons, they weaken our tooth enamel.  To prevent this, you can do things:  (1)  use a straw to minimize contact between lemon water and teeth and (2) don't brush your teeth immediately after drinking lemon water.

With this, sharing with you my updated cheat sheet on the proper way to drink Lemon Juice -

1.  Brush your teeth before drinking lemon juice. This is optional depending on your preference whether to brush your teeth before and/or after breakfast.
2.  Squeeze 1/2 lemon into a glass of water (I use room temperature water).
3.  Drink through a straw to minimize contact with teeth.  I use a reusable glass straw.
4.  Rinse mouth right after drinking lemon juice (or any drink/food that's acidic to prevent the weakening of tooth enamel).
5.  Avoid brushing teeth for the next 30 to 60 minutes after drinking lemon juice (or any drink/food that's acidic).   This waiting time would allow calcium in our saliva to re-mineralize our teeth.