Sunday, March 18, 2018

How to pray: ACTS (Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving & Supplication)

Source
When I'm too tired to pray at night, my prayer is always a short-cut version.  It starts with thank you, then sorry, then a short prayer for the poor souls, and ends with prayer petitions - mostly for other people coz my personal petitions are not really urgent in the grand scheme of things.

It's too short and disorganized that I'm not even able to follow the correct prayer sequence we were taught in grade school which should start with worship, then asking for forgiveness, then giving thanks and lastly, praying for our and/or other people's needs.  πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ

Anyway, so I don't forget the proper prayer sequence moving forward, the acronym to remember is ACTS which stands for -
Adoration
Confession
Thanksgiving
Supplication

I am sure this acronym was taught in school but it's so embarrassing that I can't recall ever having memorized the acronym ACTS. πŸ™ˆ I think my brain capacity when I was in gradeschool could only accommodate one acronym and that slot was taken by ROYGBIV.  πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

But I do clearly remember that we were taught the proper prayer sequence (minus the useful acronym) and that the best prayer that reflects this is "The Lord's Prayer".  So in case I am at loss for words when I pray, or if ever I forget what ACTS stands for when my brain is half-asleep already,  all I need to remember and do is pray "The Lord's Prayer". πŸ™