Monday, July 6, 2015

Best way to control or maintain your weight

Source
I eat a lot but I also try to maintain a certain weight range.   I've 2 reasons why:  (1) it's costly to change clothing size, and (2) an orthopedic once told me that I've small feet for my height and he said I can't put on too much weight because my knees might not be able to carry my weight or I might have difficulty balancing when I walk.   Of course, the moment I imagined myself walking like a penguin, I made a conscious decision to maintain a certain weight range.  Haha... 

Anyway, for me, the best tip on how to maintain a certain weight range is actually very simple, a no-brainer.  Just weigh yourself every morning on empty stomach (after you know, your morning call, to make sure the extra pounds are not from the food you just ate).  This is the best way to know if you've gained a couple of pounds overnight.

Another benefit once you've practiced this habit for some time is you'll also be able to better understand your weight gain (not in a scientific way but a just a quick superficial analysis). For example if one day, you find yourself weighing 2 pounds heavier than the previous day, you could easily review what you ate or recall your activities the previous day or past couple of days.  

 In my case, if I eat buffet, the following day, for sure, I am 2 to 3 lbs heavier - and that is on an empty stomach!  Haha... So imagine what would happen to my weight if I eat buffet more than once a week, don't exercise and don't weigh.    Before I know it, I could easily be 10 or 15 lbs heavier!  And yes, in the few occasions when I have gained beyond 5 lbs, the reason was because I have failed to do my morning weigh-in for several consecutive days (like when I am traveling away from my weighing scale).  Although sometimes, I would like to justify that the extra 3 lbs are from muscle development because muscles weigh heavier than fat,  right?  But I couldn't make that argument if I also didn't exercise during that period.  Haha.... 

Anyway, just remember, trying to lose extra 3 pounds is easier than trying to lose 10 or 15 pounds. All you need is a little portion control for a few days or more physical activities if you can't resist the food because everything is just yummy.   <Ahem...Haha... >   So start weighing yourself every morning on empty stomach.  And make sure you put your weighing scale within your line of vision when you step out of the bathroom so you can easily make it a habit.