Sunday, May 20, 2012

Why Ignorance is Bliss according to Calvin and Hobbes

I know some people don’t read newspapers anymore (having shifted to digital) but I’ve never outgrown reading the Sunday paper – including reading the Sunday comics!  Haha… 

Anyway, my favorite comic strip is Calvin and Hobbes.  Check out Calvin’s witty and thought-provoking musings on why ignorance is bliss in today’s comic strip:


Here’s the exchange between Calvin and Hobbes while riding their wagon into the woods (just in case you can’t read the dialogue in the photo) -

Calvin:  It’s true, Hobbes, ignorance is bliss.  Once you know things, you start seeing problems everywhere…
and once you see problems, you feel like you ought to try to fix them…
and fixing problems always seems to require personal change…
and change means doing things that aren’t fun.  I say Phooey to that!
But if you’re willfully stupid, you don’t know any better, so you can keep doing whatever you like!
The secret to happiness is short-term, stupid self-interest!

Hobbes:  We’re heading for that cliff!

Calvin:  I don’t want to know about it.

<The two of them fall off the cliff>

Hobbes:  I’m not sure I can stand so much bliss.

Calvin:  Careful!  We don’t want to learn anything from this.

Calvin and Hobbes never ceases to amuse me even if I keep on re-reading the strips. :)