Sunday, March 4, 2012

You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown

As a kid, I don’t remember watching Peanuts’ cartoons but I do remember reading the comic strip on the Sunday newspaper. When I heard about the musical, “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown” being staged in Manila, I immediately checked out the soundtrack and after listening to the songs, I just knew I had to watch it.

We were able to catch the last run and it's so funny! Non-stop laughter. The story doesn’t really have a single plot, it’s mostly vignettes but each vignette is packed with witty punchlines.
 
I love the characters of -
Sally - Charlie Brown’s little sister who believes the world owes her an explanation.
Lucy - Linus' bully and crabby sister who dreams of being a queen.
And my favorite is Shroeder - the musical genius who also happens to be Lucy’s crush. 

But one of funniest scenes for me is Sally's coat hanger sculpture project.  She got a C mark for her sculpture.   In her angsty tone, here's her monologue:

C? C? I got a 'C' on my coat hanger sculpture? How could anyone get a 'C' in coat hanger sculpture? May I ask a question? Was I judged on the piece of sculpture itself? If so, is it not true that time alone can judge a work of art? Or was I judged on my talent? If so, is it fair that I be judged on a part of my life over which I have no control? If I was judged on my effort, then I was judged unfairly, for I tried as hard as I could! Was I judged on what I had learned about this project? If so, then were not you, my teacher, also being judged on your ability to transmit your knowledge to me? Are you willing to share my 'C'? Perhaps I was being judged on the quality of coat hanger itself out of which my creation was made...now is this not also unfair? Am I to be judged by the quality of coat hangers that are used by the dry cleaning establishment that returns our garments? Is that not the responsibility of my parents? Should they not share my 'C'?
 
Good points raised by a 5-year old. How could you argue with that?  Haha...

Anyway, I did some research and apparently, You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown the musical started in 1967! No wonder, Charlie Brown was writing a letter to a penpal in one scene! I wouldn’t be surprised if kids nowadays haven’t even heard the term “penpal”. Haha…

“Happiness” is the musical's finale song and it's also my favorite song from the musical. Sharing with you the lyrics:

Happiness is, finding a pencil

Knowing a secret

Telling the time

Happiness is, learning to whistle

Tying your shoe for the very first time!

Happiness is playing the drums in your own, school band

And happiness, is walking hand in hand.

Happiness is, two kinds of ice cream

Pizza with sausage

Climbing a tree

Happiness is, five different crayons

Catching a firefly

Setting him free

Happiness, is being alone every now, and then

And happiness, is coming home again.

Happiness is, morning and evening, daytime and nightime too.For happiness, is anyone, and anything, at all, that's loved, by you!

Happiness, is having a sister

Sharing a sandwich

Getting along!

Happiness, is singing together when day, is through, and happiness is those who sing with you.

Happiness is morning and evening, daytime and nightime too. For happiness, is anyone, and anything, at all, that's loved, by you!

As for Charlie Brown and on being a good man, Charlie in the end realized that being a "good man" means trying your best and making the most of the things you've been given in life.  There's so much to learn from these bunch of 5-year old kids. :)