Saturday, May 10, 2008

Exploring Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Phnom Penh is the capital of Cambodia and it’s a 6-hour bus ride from Siem Reap (with a stop over every  hours). We were hoping to take the Mekong Express bus or plane going there but both were fully booked so we ended up taking a regular airconditioned bus.


While waiting for the bus to go, we chanced upon the shoot of Amazing Race right across where our bus was parked!:)


My seatmate was a Cambodian but I slept throughout the trip since I was so tired from our temple-hopping the previous days.  I was so oblivious that when he got off, that was the only time I realized he was bringing a live duck inside a bag.  I only heard the duck make a sound when he stood up to leave carrying the bag. Tamed duck. Haha...  

Anyway, here are some of the places to see when in Phnom Penh:

Royal Palace. Within the grounds, you can visit not just the Royal Palace but also temples like the Silver Pagoda (its floor is made of silver) which houses an emerald Buddha and a golden Buddha weighing close to 500 kgs and encrusted with more than a thousand diamonds.  Sorry, picture-taking isn't allowed though inside the structures.  

Here are some of the photos I took at the Royal Palace grounds -










Russian Market. Some stalls sell factory overruns of branded clothes but it was so hot inside the market that we couldn’t stand going through the goods under such heat so ended up not buying anything at all!:)


Happy Painting Gallery. I love the colorful paintings and I was so tempted to buy (specifically the Happy Bus artwork) but they are so expensive! A small painting costs USD200 and the hand-made limited edition silkscreens cost about USD120. The artworks are by Stef, a French painter, who is quite popular in Cambodia. He paints subjects like happy monks, happy moms, happy Cambodian people because he wants to promote happy images of a nation that suffered a lot. Anyway, I’ll just attempt to paint my own Happy Painting-inspired artwork soon:) But I did buy a Happy Painting shirt - maybe I can just frame it! haha...





Kravan House. This is a shop near our hotel, FCC Phnom Penh. The products here (mostly bags and accessories) are made by local villagers and apparently, if you buy an item, proceeds will go to the specific villager who made it. The stuff are really nice and reasonably priced and they’re for a good cause.:)


FCC Phnom Penh is a great hotel to stay in.  The location is just walking distance to the Royal Palace, very near shops and fronting the Mekong River.


BTW, can I just tell you that I personally think Cambodian drivers are more highly skilled than Pinoys. They can converse while driving motorcycles side by side on main roads AND in major intersections, all kinds of vehicles (bikes, motorcycles, tuktuk and cars) can just pass through, to each his own, even though there aren't any
trafiic lights! It was just unbelievable. haha...