Saturday, May 26, 2018

The big difference between saying "I can't" vs "I don't"

Imagine you've just started with a new fitness goal or a new diet plan. One day, you're eating in a restaurant and the waiter asks you - "Would you like a slice of chocolate cake for dessert?".
Would your answer be - "I can't" or "I don't" eat chocolate cake?

Without thinking really hard, either answer seems ok, right?

But guess what?  Each answer has a very different psychological impact on our behavior.

"I don’t" is a choice you've made.  It affirms your willpower.
"I can't" is a restriction you've imposed on yourself.  It undermines your sense of power.  

In a study, students who had healthy eating goals were told to either say "I can't" or "I don't" when faced with a temptation. On their way out of the lab, they were offered a chocolate bar or granola bar as reward.  What were the results?   64% who answered "I don't" were able to refuse the chocolate bar and opted for the granola bar vs 39% who answered "I can't".

In another study, women with fitness goals were also asked to answer "I can't" or "I don't" when faced with a temptation to skip gym, etc. and to stop using the phrases if the phrases don't help them stick to their fitness goals.   By the end of the study, 8 out of the 10 women were still using the "I don't" strategy vs only 1 out of the 10 women who used the "I can't" strategy.

I did't realize how your choice between "I can't" and "I don't" could have a tremendous impact on our behavior until I read this old article from Forbes.  

Anyway, this is something to try if current strategies don't work!😉  I think the "I don't" strategy could also be used to get rid of our bad habits. Haha... 🙈😜