Monday, March 25, 2013

A lesson on Gratitude and Generosity

I'm currently reading a book which tells a story that deeply moved me.  

Father Arrupe, a Jesuit priest, was once visiting some other Jesuits working in the slums of Latin America.  During the visit, he celebrated mass for the local people.  Here were his words from an interview:

When the mass was over, a big man whose hang-dog look (guilty look) made me almost afraid said, "Come to my place. I have something to give you."  

I was undecided.  I didn't know whether to accept or not, but the priest who was with me said, "Accept, Father, they are good people." 

I went to his place; his house was a hovel (an open, low shed) nearly on the point of collapsing.  He had me sit down on an old, rickety old chair.  From there, I could see the sunset.


The big man said to me, "Look, Sir, how beautiful it is!"  We sat in silence for several minutes.  The sun disappeared.  

The man then said, "I don't know how to thank you for all you have done for us.  I have nothing to give you, but I thought you would like to see this sunset.  You liked it, didn't you?  Good evening." And then he shook my hand.  

What a beautiful story! May it inspire us to be more grateful and generous. :)