Friday, September 11, 2009

Realizations from UP the movie


I’ve been meaning to write about the movie UP but I always forget.  I’m not even sure if it’s still showing by this time.

Anyway, if it still is, hope you can catch it.  For me, it’s one of the best cartoon movies.  Though Shrek has been my all-time favorite animated movie, UP tops my list as the most moving (but equally entertaining) cartoon movie.

Russel and Carl

The first 20 minutes of the movie is just Whoa.  As one of the reviews I read said - no dry eyes inside the cinema in the first 20 minutes.  It shows the life of Carl (the old man in the movie trailer) and his wife as kids, later on as young adults, dreaming of big things like traveling and exploring the world. 

The young Carl and his wife talking about their dreams

They grow up, get married and end up working in a theme park – Carl selling balloons and his wife selling popcorn if I remember it right (OMG, I can’t even recall anymore! Haha…).   

During their married life, they hold on to their dreams and save up for a travel fund, but every now and then, the funds get spent on unforeseen household expenses. 

Carl and his wife during their prime years

They never have kids, they grow old, the wife gets sick .... they never get the chance to travel. The wife passes away, leaving Carl alone. Sob…

Carl on his own

A lifetime in a span of 20 minutes with scenes that could be any one’s life. 

When I was talking to my friends about UP, there were varied reactions. My friends who are married with kids said that they have to start revisiting the dreams they’ve set aside since they got married. My friends who are married with no kids said that they have to have kids soon. For us single peeps, we realized that we’ve been able to tick off a lot from our bucket lists already except that we aren’t married yet! Haha… Talk about life’s trade-offs! 

Getting married is actually in my bucket list except that I don’t really go out. How can I and my “the one” possibly meet if I’m always home and he’s probably home too? Haha…

Hope you can still catch UP.  If not, make sure to watch it when the DVD is out.:)